We are in need of volunteers of all ages with positions available in Kidspace, Teens, Adult, and the Wilson Branch. Volunteers should be self-motivated, dependable and above all, love the library! To find out more about possible positions or to fill out an application stop by the Main Library or Wilson Branch. You can also take a look at what we have to offer here and even print out an application.
-The library does not accept court mandated community service assignments.
-All volunteers must be at least 12 years old unless under the supervision of an adult family member for all volunteer assignments.
• Assisting with the preparation of craft materials for Kids programs
• Assisting with the folding and/or cutting of Kidspace booklists and handouts
• Assisting with maintenance and minor repair of library materials
• Cleaning toys and books
• Bringing Kidspace puppets/stuffed animals home for washing, mending and TLC
• Photographing Kidspace events with library camera or iPad and obtain necessary releases from subjects
• Assist librarians in preparation for programs by helping set up/clean up and assisting in the supervision of the event
- Assisting with preparation of booklists, handouts, and teen reviews
- Shelving in the teen department
- Assisting with special projects like displays, seasonal reading programs and decorations
Lending / Technical Services
- Assisting patrons with use of self-check machine
- Assisting staff with miscellaneous clerical duties such as relabeling or discharging library items, processing new materials, mending damaged items, relabeling and other special projects
- Use our special DVD/CD cleaner to ensure our collection is of the best quality
- Assist staff with larger programs by helping set up/clean up, taking pictures/video, obtaining releases, being an extra set of hands during more active programs
- Dust and damp wipe shelves, keeping them clean and orderly
- Clean books
- Clean toys
- “Adopt” an area of shelving
- Ensure books are in proper numerical or alphabetical order and that they are tidy on the shelves
- Check books for damage and repair needs
- Help maintain library greenery by watering and clipping indoor plants and weeding outdoor plants
- Deliver materials to people who are physically unable to visit the library, including the elderly, the disabled, and those who are temporarily incapacitated by illness or accident
* Homebound volunteers must have a valid driver’s license and their own vehicle.